Diddee

Music

A thread to discuss all things music.

I use Spotify now to listen to all my old favourites and check out new music.

Yesterday I listened to Bernard Fanning's latest album, Kasey Chambers' latest and an old album called 'Songs from Big Pink' by the Band. They all featured in Saturday's paper and on Spotify they are All free.

Used to do the iTunes thing and check out snippets of new releases before buying. On Spotify it is all free to listen in full for 30 minutes ad free.

I find it way better than Pandora.

Btw, I'm Buying the Bernard Fanning one, but not the Kasey Chambers one. He has a timeless sound and all his songs are good, while Chambers is good on most songs but not something I'd listen to regularly. I already have a few albums by the Band - most known for that classic 'the Weight' redone in Oz by the Badloves in the '90's I think.

Quint, Spotify even has ABBA for you.

Never used iTunes, Spotify or Pandora. I buy my music from an unnamed Russian site on the dark net and so far, I've bought 75 albums and it only cost me 1 kidney. If you spend more than $1,000 they will throw in a free contract killing.(of your choice)

I don't really listen to new music much anymore.

Got into podcasts a while ago, so if I'm listening to something it's usually one of them. I do go into my old catalogue of albums occasionally though.

If I do go for something new I just illegally download it, or get it off Youtube.

My cousins son has hit Number 1 on the Australian Country Music charts beating the like of Lee Kernahan etc. My cousin would be very proud if he was still alive, he died of kidney failure a few years ago.

I think I played a role in giving this kid an appreciation of music when he was a baby. I used to go to my cousins place and tape all my records to cassettes at full blast on now primitive equipment. All the load stuff...Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Suzie Quatro etc etc. My cousins then wife used to scream out to me "Turn that bloody music down, you are making the baby cry!!" So I feel justified in giving the kid his musical appreciation all those years ago.

This bloke lives in Charters Towers( 130 kilometres from Townsville and population of approximately 8000 people) and seems to make a good living there singing his music...not a bad effort.

Years ago I used to love listening to some songs from Canned Heat because the cunt who was the singer had a really unusual voice. I got hold of a DVD the other day of Canned Heat doing 50 year anniversary tour and they sounded like a real mob of amateurs trying to do Canned Heat songs..it was fucking terrible.

10 hours ago, sydgeoff said:

Years ago I used to love listening to some songs from Canned Heat because the cunt who was the singer had a really unusual voice. I got hold of a DVD the other day of Canned Heat doing 50 year anniversary tour and they sounded like a real mob of amateurs trying to do Canned Heat songs..it was fucking terrible.

I think the lead singer necked himself years ago, and they have been shit ever since.

So I sat through Abc New Year’s Eve with a countdown and performance of favourite songs voted by the public.

Casey Donovan was fucking brilliant. Christine Anu on the other hand, was off her head on something.

Check the news in coming days - I swear she was on the crack Pipe beforehand.

Anyways, Daryl Braithwaite’s ‘Horses’ was no. 1.

I reckon he’s done a Bradbury. He was sitting on the hill with his missus eating hot chips and some frantic clown from the ABC  spots him, taps him on the shoulder and says ‘Barnesy passed out on the piss again, would you be able to sing?’.

’what, I thought Jimmy was off the grog? Says Daryl.

’He was’ says the ABC man. ‘But Sydgeoff hooked him up with some Thai chicks. They really are his weakness’.

’What about Farnham then?’ Asks Daryl.

’well, we did a quick run to the old folks home where he lives. Bastard has retired again’.

’What about AC/DC? 

‘Daryl, half of ‘em are dead’

’Where did my song finish in the voting anyway?’ Asks Dazza.

’Ah, lets just say it’s no.1 now’

’you beauty. And ‘Howzat’’ Asks Daryl, pushing his luck.

’Alright you cunt. You can be number 1 and you can sing your gay anthem ‘Howzat’. Happy now twat?’. Shouts the ABC man.

’Honey, hold my dim Sims. I’ll reheat then when I get home’ says Daryl as he heads towards the stage to slip something in Christine Anu’s drink.

....and that my friends, is how the ABC New Years countdown unfolded.

On 1/1/2019 at 10:07 PM, Diddee said:

So I sat through Abc New Year’s Eve with a countdown and performance of favourite songs voted by the public.

Casey Donovan was fucking brilliant. Christine Anu on the other hand, was off her head on something.

Check the news in coming days - I swear she was on the crack Pipe beforehand.

Anyways, Daryl Braithwaite’s ‘Horses’ was no. 1.

I reckon he’s done a Bradbury. He was sitting on the hill with his missus eating hot chips and some frantic clown from the ABC  spots him, taps him on the shoulder and says ‘Barnesy passed out on the piss again, would you be able to sing?’.

’what, I thought Jimmy was off the grog? Says Daryl.

’He was’ says the ABC man. ‘But Sydgeoff hooked him up with some Thai chicks. They really are his weakness’.

’What about Farnham then?’ Asks Daryl.

’well, we did a quick run to the old folks home where he lives. Bastard has retired again’.

’What about AC/DC? 

‘Daryl, half of ‘em are dead’

’Where did my song finish in the voting anyway?’ Asks Dazza.

’Ah, lets just say it’s no.1 now’

’you beauty. And ‘Howzat’’ Asks Daryl, pushing his luck.

’Alright you cunt. You can be number 1 and you can sing your gay anthem ‘Howzat’. Happy now twat?’. Shouts the ABC man.

’Honey, hold my dim Sims. I’ll reheat then when I get home’ says Daryl as he heads towards the stage to slip something in Christine Anu’s drink.

....and that my friends, is how the ABC New Years countdown unfolded.

I watched that as well.

Was surprised at how good Casey Donavan was. Was left bewildered by some of the some choices voted by the Australian public. 'The Horses' as the best Australian party song? It's not even a good song as it is, let alone a party song. It's somehow become this ironically cool song somehow, as if it's so corny that it's now become hipster cool. Same thing happened with Rick Astley's 'Never Gonna Give You Up'. 

2 hours ago, Quint said:

I watched that as well.

Was surprised at how good Casey Donavan was. Was left bewildered by some of the some choices voted by the Australian public. 'The Horses' as the best Australian party song? It's not even a good song as it is, let alone a party song. It's somehow become this ironically cool song somehow, as if it's so corny that it's now become hipster cool. Same thing happened with Rick Astley's 'Never Gonna Give You Up'. 

I feel like I don't even know you man......

That said, best fucking party song? That's a massive piss take.

19 hours ago, Harry Sack said:

I feel like I don't even know you man......

That said, best fucking party song? That's a massive piss take.

Yes, was talking to some young people about it.

They said the song has become like som3 kind of meme amongst young people.

They probably rigged the voting just to take the piss out of us old farts over 25.