Diddee

Greatest Player Ever

I put forward Jonathon Thurston as the greatest player in the history of the game.

I know it is hard to compare players from different eras, and different positions etc.

My choice is based on an acceptance that the current full time professional NRL competition, and representative competition (SOO etc) is the highest standard the game has ever achieved.  

I've seen some good ones do some amazing things: Andrew Johns, Darren Lockyer, and I've followed the game long enough to be familiar with the feats of players like Beetson, Fulton, Sterling, Raper, Rogers, Lewis, Langlands, Meninga etc. And I know all about Dally Messenger from my love of the history of the game.

Pound for pound though, Thurston would have to be the best in my humble opinion.   

Thoughts?

No doubt...Graeme Langlands closely followed by WAlly Lewis then probably Jonathan Thurston and Cameron Smith. After that lot you would have to throw in John Raper, Mal Meninga, Ron Coote, Arthur Beetson ,Billy Smith and Andrew Johns.

Wally Lewis, unfortunately never played long enough into the '90's for me to judge him against what I see with Thurston now.

Judging by others' views, then I guess JT at 7 and Lewis at 6. I don't think there was a better half than JT.

Billy Smith I never saw. But Andrew Johns I saw many times, and JT is much more consistent and effective controller of play. Much calmer head, and more able to get team play happening.  

Wally was great at lifting for 3 Origin games a year. Couldn't back it up week in/week out when he finally played with the big boys in the Sydney comp.

Not much separating Johns or Thurston for mine.

Wally was great at lifting for 3 Origin games a year. Couldn't back it up week in/week out when he finally played with the big boys in the Sydney comp.

That is the trouble...Wally was past his prime by the time the Broncos entered the Sydney comp. His prime was probably 82 to 87 although there were a few players in the Brisbane comp that really gave him some grief...notably Brian "Yogi" Dunne, Greg Holben and Peter Dutton.

That is the trouble...Wally was past his prime by the time the Broncos entered the Sydney comp. His prime was probably 82 to 87 although there were a few players in the Brisbane comp that really gave him some grief...notably Brian "Yogi" Dunne, Greg Holben and Peter Dutton.

Yet he could still pull out an Origin blinder after that time. That '89 Origin game at the SFS when half the Maroons went off injured was a memorable one.

There is a fair bit seperating them, one of them is an Origin legend who has won a lot more than he lost, one of them is not a drug cheat, one of them is/was not a junkie, one of them does not hang out with underworld figures, one of them can string more than 3 words together without stating the obvious, and finally one of them is one of the most over rated players in the history of the game, that of course being Johns.

Watch his Origin highlights is laughable.  :hystery:

Nah, take out all the off field shit and look at the football ability objectively.

I think Thurston has pipped Johns, but both great half backs.

Sarcasm out of it, Johns was a "great" club halfback for Newcastle, and probably one of the best CLUB halfbacks of all time. 

Thurston has been and still is a great club player, but he is also a great for QLD and Australia, Johns has no rights to that claim.

As far as halfbacks god, Sterling is the last Great NSW halfback rep player that I can remember. And then to a lesser extent the best NSW club players I believe would be Johns, Toovey and Stuart.

As for Origin and Australian halfbacks, Thurston, Cronk, Langer, all leave Johns for dead. 

Same as Cameron Smith is 5 times better than both Farah and Buderus put together.

Slater, Inglis, Hodges, Lockyer etc etc.

You have had the privilege of watching (and being flogged) by some of the greatest players of this, previous and future era's of the Queensland Origin team.

Claiming Johns is in anyway on par with Thurston may help ease the pain of the last 10 years of origin series losses but being honest with yourself, Johns was no where near as good and would probably be the first to admit that. 

Sarcasm out of it, Johns was a "great" club halfback for Newcastle, and probably one of the best CLUB halfbacks of all time. 

Thurston has been and still is a great club player, but he is also a great for QLD and Australia, Johns has no rights to that claim.

As far as halfbacks god, Sterling is the last Great NSW halfback rep player that I can remember. And then to a lesser extent the best NSW club players I believe would be Johns, Toovey and Stuart.

As for Origin and Australian halfbacks, Thurston, Cronk, Langer, all leave Johns for dead. 

Same as Cameron Smith is 5 times better than both Farah and Buderus put together.

Slater, Inglis, Hodges, Lockyer etc etc.

You have had the privilege of watching (and being flogged) by some of the greatest players of this, previous and future era's of the Queensland Origin team.

Claiming Johns is in anyway on par with Thurston may help ease the pain of the last 10 years of origin series losses but being honest with yourself, Johns was no where near as good and would probably be the first to admit that. 

Until a great little halfback called Alfie Langer made an absolute goose out of him.

Great post otherwise. Johns was a great club half, but apart from one excellent SOO and a few good ones, several OK Tests...that's all he was...a great club half.

Johns was a better player than Thurston.

Hard tp split on playing ability.

Thurston is a much better team player, leader of men and is not a sook. He's never had to shift position to accomadate a better player.

Hard tp split on playing ability.

Thurston is a much better team player, leader of men and is not a sook. He's never had to shift position to accomadate a better player.

He's had many a sook.

The Hand of Foran - blamed Sydney based NRL officials saying the game is rigged against Qld teams

Cried the same thing the year after when the Roosters knocked them out by a try after a knock on that wasn't

Kicks at the line often then gets belted, sooks all the time that he should be a protected species.