farmduck

Telstra Victims Support Group

These days everyone is part of some oppressed minority or group of ignored victims. I've decided not to suffer in silence any longer. I'm coming out of the Telstra victim-shaming closet.

Hi, my name's Farmduck and I was violated by Telstra.

I haven't wanted to say anything because they made me feel like it was my fault. Every time I tried to say anything they belittled me by using jargon like "ADSL," and "plug" and "handset." I eventually felt that I was so stupid that, even if I told someone about the abuse, they wouldn't believe me.

Got an Indian call centre guy calling me wanting to sell a Telstra product. 

I said "I'm already with Telstra"

He asked "what package do you have?"

I asked "do you work for Telstra?"

He said "yes"

I said "then you should fucking know what package I have"

I hung up.

Everytime I get asked about my package, I think they're taking about my genitals.

Tried to joke around about it with a semi hot Telstra shop chick once many moons ago. She didn't get it. No sense of humour.

Also the same at the fast food drive thru. I break young girl's hearts when they apologise saying "sorry, about the wait".

I like to reply, "you could lose a few pounds, but you ain't too bad".

Got an Indian call centre guy calling me wanting to sell a Telstra product. 

I said "I'm already with Telstra"

He asked "what package do you have?"

I asked "do you work for Telstra?"

He said "yes"

I said "then you should fucking know what package I have"

I hung up.

That is more an Indian call centre guy issue, than a Tesltra one. Those curry munchers are into everything.

That is more an Indian call centre guy issue, than a Tesltra one. Those curry munchers are into everything.

I dunno how he got an Indian. I always get the Filipinos and I've known so many nice Filipinos that I find it hard to get angry with them. I wish I could get Indians. When I had the duck farm I dealt with so many arsehole Indians I find it very easy to get angry with them.

Another 30 minute call to 132200 today. Now I have a Case Number. When I rang 10 days ago, I was told there was a fault on the line but, apparently, was only given a Contact Reference Number but no Case Number. I've rung 5 times now over this latest outage. I'm not getting angry anymore just nagging. I also remember to insist on them giving me bonus data on my pre-paid Mobile Broadband. They don't even get that right. They gave me 5GB but with an expiry date of 20 June when they must know that the technician isn't even scheduled until 23 June because they are the ones who scheduled him/her.

I was always with Telstra up until last year.

My Dad worked for them for 39 years, up until his retirement. Always felt that I should be with them for that reason.

Then I realized how much cheaper other options were and switched over to Virgin last year. The reception isn't as good in some places, but not bad enough to warrant me paying the extra money to keep Telstra.

Having said that, I never had a problem with them. Service was always fine. If I needed something done I would ring up and it would get done.

Only had mobile phone with them though, not Internet. Probably more problems associated with that.

I was always with Telstra up until last year.

My Dad worked for them for 39 years, up until his retirement. Always felt that I should be with them for that reason.

Then I realized how much cheaper other options were and switched over to Virgin last year. The reception isn't as good in some places, but not bad enough to warrant me paying the extra money to keep Telstra.

Having said that, I never had a problem with them. Service was always fine. If I needed something done I would ring up and it would get done.

Only had mobile phone with them though, not Internet. Probably more problems associated with that.

I have been with Optus for 21 years now...only had one or two incidents over those years but they were resolved in my favour within hours.

Fairly dirty on Telstra atm. I'm 9 months off the end of my current contract and my phone is starting to fuck up. They told me they were happy to wave the contract fee of $350, but they want $490 to re-contract with a new phone. That's the payout figure for the handset itself apparently. I knew there would be a fee of some sort (due to what I describe below), but the only fee they're willing to wave is the money that they'll get anyway with me signing a new contract. What annoys me the most though is that Telstra have a thing called "New phone feeling" that allows you to send your old phone to Telstra after 12months and upgrade at no charge. I asked for that to be activated on my account when I got the phone but the guy has clearly forgotten to tick the box, or whatever the fuck they do. Telstra's response after 20years of being with them.......that's a shame. Cunts.

Depends what you want I guess, but no matter what, you end up paying for the phone, plan or not. If you can afford it, buy the phone upfront and then you don't need to be locked into a carrier and can just swap if they piss you off.

Fact is, large corporates take advantage of your loyalty, they do not reward you for it. You have to get off your arse and change suppliers every now and then to ensure you are getting the best deal, banking, phones, power, internet, insurance, whatever. it's a pain in the arse to change, but worth the effort.  

I've been with Telstra pre-paid for mobile phone for close to 15 years and I have no complaints at all. In fact I can't recall ever having a call drop out or being unable to get reception around my area. BUT ......... that's the cheapest part of my Telstra relationship and I make so few phone calls that I could use pigeons and still get an adequate service. In the last 12 months, more than half my calls have been free anyway because they are to Telstra. (to report internet outages)

It's the internet/land line that pisses me off. I don't use the land line for phone - I have no handset and haven't had one for 10 years. If I was getting this standard from some $20/month Third World telco, I'd accept it but Telstra is full-price and, in my case, a monopoly. When I moved here no other Telco could hook me up because there were no ports available at the local exchange.

I understand that, with the NBN, there will probably also be changes to exchange technology and infrastructure. There's probably no value in the smaller telcos building any copper wire infrastructure of their own. The most annoying thing for me is Telstra could have solved all the problems I've had - and saved themselves about 6 call-outs to patch up a copper wire problem that probably only services about 6 households now. (Until the new houses around here are built, I am at the end of the line, a line which only has about 6 occupied houses left.)

Simple solution:

- connect me to someone in OZ who understands that, in new suburban areas, there is always a transition period of 1-2 years where everything old and rusty is replaced by the brand new and shiny.

- find someone with the authority to strike up a transitional deal - mobile internet works here so why not give me a mobile service at the same rate I'm paying for the erratic and maintenance-costly copper-wire non-service? They have 18 months of data usage records that show I'm using way below average for a household so they know they won't be out of pocket.

- find someone who can see that even losing $10/mth for 2 years on a satisfied customer who will then transition to a $90/mth NBN deal for the rest of his life is good business - I haven't made a landline call in years so they can see the savings they are already making.

Telstra told me the tech would come back on Saturday, which he didn't. They say he couldn't get access to my property and rang me but couldn't get an answer. Of course he couldn't. Those dumbfucks gave him the number of my mobile pre-paid broadband dongle, which isn't a phone and never has been. Why the fuck they would do that is beyond my imagination.

Anyway, one more coffee and I'll ring them again.

So now they're sending a tech on 29th June and they've assigned me a new case number - this is a tactic used to make their performance stats look better. They measure the timeliness of resolved cases so if they take a month, after 2 weeks they'll mark you off as "resolved" and assign a new case number.

I'm on my 3rd case number and they've already accepted that the problem isn't at my place, it's somewhere in their network so, again, one might wonder why their ability or inability to get to my house is even relevant.

5434392362.png

I'm having a completely different experience to yours with Telstra. Been with them for 25+yrs.

I rarely deal with them and other than feeling slightly jipped at having to pay extra for the good juice (I thought the NBN meant it was all good ....but apparently there are levels of "high speed") I sense that they are more long term reliable than your fly by night operators like TPG.....Dodo.....iselect....etc etc.

I think a lot of your trouble is that you've chosen the back blocks of shitsville nowhere to set up camp. Unfortunately the price you pay for the "serenity", is that you lose access to the things us urban dwellers take for granted.

I think a lot of your trouble is that you've chosen the back blocks of shitsville nowhere to set up camp. Unfortunately the price you pay for the "serenity", is that you lose access to the things us urban dwellers take for granted.

What makes you think I live in Qld?