Jump to content
Diddee

Which Club Needs to Go?

Recommended Posts

On 4/21/2019 at 4:38 PM, sydgeoff said:

I disagree also...the game is dying and I cannot see any new teams particularly reallocated ones winning any new fans at all. 

 

Why do you think the game is dying?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Supporters can easily switch allegiances if they get an NRL team to identify with.

I mean, look at all those Broncos, Melbourne and Cowboys supporters who dumped their original teams in favour of a Qld based big league team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Quint said:

 

Why do you think the game is dying?

I have seen so many clubs die or are only a shadow of themselves....Newtown, Valleys, Wests Panthers, Brothers,Cannon Hill Stars (my first junior club team) ...are just some...many many more country clubs. In Ipswich, Toowoomba, Mackay etc...long established clubs are gone. Toowoomba for example had a ten team comp in in the 50/60/70/80s...now they do not have as many. In the schools in Brisbane (primary) almost 90% of the schools had RL teams, 10% had Aussie Rules...now very different. At Cannon Hill SS where I went (and Wally Lewis and many other great players went) there is now no RL team at all...when I was there, we had 3 teams in each weight division...4 stone, 4 stone 7s, 5 stones, 5 stone 7 and six stones. We were getting better crowds in BRL club games than they get at most NRL club games now. Test matches only fill half the stadiums now whereas in the 50/60/70/80s, they were all sell outs.

 

I think we may only have 20 to 30 years left as a top shelf sport...and they players are killing it with the shithouse behaviour of late.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, sydgeoff said:

I have seen so many clubs die or are only a shadow of themselves....Newtown, Valleys, Wests Panthers, Brothers,Cannon Hill Stars (my first junior club team) ...are just some...many many more country clubs. In Ipswich, Toowoomba, Mackay etc...long established clubs are gone. Toowoomba for example had a ten team comp in in the 50/60/70/80s...now they do not have as many. In the schools in Brisbane (primary) almost 90% of the schools had RL teams, 10% had Aussie Rules...now very different. At Cannon Hill SS where I went (and Wally Lewis and many other great players went) there is now no RL team at all...when I was there, we had 3 teams in each weight division...4 stone, 4 stone 7s, 5 stones, 5 stone 7 and six stones. We were getting better crowds in BRL club games than they get at most NRL club games now. Test matches only fill half the stadiums now whereas in the 50/60/70/80s, they were all sell outs.

 

I think we may only have 20 to 30 years left as a top shelf sport...and they players are killing it with the shithouse behaviour of late.

 

Fair enough.

It would be dying out in the country areas, which is why the NRL/ARL/RLIF need to invest in those places and throw plenty of money at them. 

I'm not sure if it is dying in the big cities though. Crowds and TV figures are as good as ever, if a bit stagnant at the moment. International RL is a big problem, but Origin has never been more popular.

AFL has been slowly making its way into areas where they never really were before. The NRL  need to take note of how they are doing this. They are in schools all over the place with their Auskick promotions, and have the Aussie media in their pocket. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Quint said:

 

Fair enough.

It would be dying out in the country areas, which is why the NRL/ARL/RLIF need to invest in those places and throw plenty of money at them. 

I'm not sure if it is dying in the big cities though. Crowds and TV figures are as good as ever, if a bit stagnant at the moment. International RL is a big problem, but Origin has never been more popular.

AFL has been slowly making its way into areas where they never really were before. The NRL  need to take note of how they are doing this. They are in schools all over the place with their Auskick promotions, and have the Aussie media in their pocket. 

 

 

 

Yes, for those of us in AFL state, we can see a clear difference between AFL and NRL.

The AFL just saturates the grassroots with development and promotion money.

This is a double effort as clubs also mark out their territories and do their own work to develop and uncover talent.

Then, there is the media support for the game which is different.

I swear and AFL player could kill someone and would still be hands off from the media.

In the NRL, someone scratches their arse and everyone in the game supposedly has haemorrhoids and it is all the game’s fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plus, I think nrl killed themselves when they stopped having lower grades.

In my old mans time in Newcastle (late ‘70’s - ‘80’s), it was nothing to have 5 or 6 games on game day, including 18’s, F Troop’ all the way up to the main game.

Big days out for the family. Built loyalty around clubs and built excitement before a main game.

Some of my favourite players were in the Reggie’s, and you’d ride their careers hoping they’d get a break in first grade.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Diddee said:

Plus, I think nrl killed themselves when they stopped having lower grades.

In my old mans time in Newcastle (late ‘70’s - ‘80’s), it was nothing to have 5 or 6 games on game day, including 18’s, F Troop’ all the way up to the main game.

Big days out for the family. Built loyalty around clubs and built excitement before a main game.

Some of my favourite players were in the Reggie’s, and you’d ride their careers hoping they’d get a break in first grade.

 

Agree 1000% and the players also had a sense of "club" and what it meant to the fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Quint said:

 

Fair enough.

It would be dying out in the country areas, which is why the NRL/ARL/RLIF need to invest in those places and throw plenty of money at them. 

I'm not sure if it is dying in the big cities though. Crowds and TV figures are as good as ever, if a bit stagnant at the moment. International RL is a big problem, but Origin has never been more popular.

AFL has been slowly making its way into areas where they never really were before. The NRL  need to take note of how they are doing this. They are in schools all over the place with their Auskick promotions, and have the Aussie media in their pocket. 

 

 

Ask any North Sydney fan !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, sydgeoff said:

Ask any North Sydney fan !

 

I would, but there aren't any.

One club being being kicked out of the comp doesn't mean the game is dying. Maybe on the North Shore it is, but that is a very small part of a very big city, and it was always more of a Union territory anyway.

Maybe I should ask all the Glebe, Annandale and Cumberland fans if the game is dying as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Quint said:

 

I would, but there aren't any.

One club being being kicked out of the comp doesn't mean the game is dying. Maybe on the North Shore it is, but that is a very small part of a very big city, and it was always more of a Union territory anyway.

Maybe I should ask all the Glebe, Annandale and Cumberland fans if the game is dying as well.

Balmain, Western Suburbs ? The game is Rugby League and it is not just the NRL comp...lots of country clubs have / are disappearing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2019 at 6:24 PM, sydgeoff said:

Balmain, Western Suburbs ? The game is Rugby League and it is not just the NRL comp...lots of country clubs have / are disappearing.


I've already acknowledged that country clubs are suffering.

Balmain and Western Suburbs fans have a team. It's called Wests Tigers. They would have lost some fans back in the day when the merge happened, but the vast majority stayed on and supported their new club. As someone who grew up in the Campbelltown area surrounded by Wests fans and now live in Balmain surrounded by more Wests fans I can attest to this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...