Diddee

Which Club Needs to Go?

Which club needs to go to make way for a new professional franchise?

Well if I had to pick just one, I'd say get rid of the Bulldogs.

Constantly dragging the game backwards on the field and fan behaviour.

No forward thinking, no potential for growth.

Merge or go.

None.

Tradition and soul are not a corporate construct.

Fuck the idea of a better business model, Sport is more than that.  

I see the Sydney centric are out in full voice.....scared shitless of losing one of their crummy teams. :lol:

My vote would be to merge another Sydney team (or two....or three). Parramatta Bankstown Panthers has a nice ring to it.

Start whittling down NSW based clubs to East, West, North and South. Get a western QLD team.....have "Canberra" (where ever the fuck that is) ...kiwis.....the token Victorian side.....

sounds about enough.

Souths. Kicked them out before, lets try again. We'll have our juniors back.

Sharks. That property development was the only thing that saved their asses. They are hemmed in by Dragons territory north, west and south with nothing but friggin ocean east so no room for growth. Never won a bloody thing either.

I see the Sydney centric are out in full voice.....scared shitless of losing one of their crummy teams. :lol:

My vote would be to merge another Sydney team (or two....or three). Parramatta Bankstown Panthers has a nice ring to it.

Start whittling down NSW based clubs to East, West, North and South. Get a western QLD team.....have "Canberra" (where ever the fuck that is) ...kiwis.....the token Victorian side.....

sounds about enough.

Nothing Sydney centric about it. But it doesn't surprise me you would see it that way. 

Personally I'd rather see a few more teams added in, Another Brisbane side, maybe Sunshine coast / central Qld and Perth. 

Enough for the regular season to be made up of each team plays each other once, with a bye or two along the way.

Souths. Kicked them out before, lets try again. We'll have our juniors back.

Sharks. That property development was the only thing that saved their asses. They are hemmed in by Dragons territory north, west and south with nothing but friggin ocean east so no room for growth. Never won a bloody thing either.

You have to keep Souths in...they are one of the most successful off-field operations now, and the Roosters have pinched plenty of Souths juniors over the years. Agree about Cronulla however, they are sandwiched in their little patch with no area for expansion unless the Government opens up the Royal National Park to property developers, and that will never happen!

Man charged after throwing bottle of bourbon during Bulldogs football game.

See. Bulldogs can't even stock their canteen and bar responsibly. They show complete disregard for responsible service of alcohol. 

Going for the big profits. No idea.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-06/sydney-man-charged-over-throwing-of-bottle-at-nrl-game/7304472?WT.ac=statenews_nsw

Cronulla should have been dumped but they let it drag on too long. Now that their development is underway it's almost impossible to get rid of a financially profitable team. You would need something very, very serious. Maybe if the whole team took drugs under the supervision of the coach and trainers, but how could that even happen?

Personally I'd rather see a few more teams added in, Another Brisbane side, maybe Sunshine coast / central Qld and Perth. 

Enough for the regular season to be made up of each team plays each other once, with a bye or two along the way.

I agree with this, except for the Perth side, that has been tried before an failed.

They are an AFL Dominated state. 

Waste of time and money putting a team there, the only winners are the hotels the players stay at and the airlines.

1.  Another Brisbane Side - Ipswich or Bogan Logan based

2.  Another Brisbane Side - Redcliffe or Sunshine Coast Based

3.  Central Queensland Side - Rockhampton based

Time for the Bulldogs to go.

They have peaked. They will never be more than what they are now. Unlike other clubs, they have no growth potential.

They are a great junior nursery base for another club, and they should divert all resources into that area rather than trying to sustain an NRL team. 

I actually support another Queensland team, or even a PNG team in another 5 years with intensive build up.

My Priority Hitlist:

Bulldogs

Sharks

Dragons

Manly

Parramatta

Panthers 

Tigers

Roosters

Souths

Reality is that most of these sides could still succeed in merging.

I would apologise for the long post but I already know most of you won't read it so I won't bother. I copied this from another forum where the thread was titled "Disband the Wests Tigers."

One of the most common statements we hear about the NRL is that there are too many Sydney clubs. 8/16 does sound like a lot - I consider St George a Wollongong club - so what criteria should be used to determine the optimal number?

Money? Most NRL clubs lose money. Well yes, if you ignore the fact that most Sydney clubs are backed by licensed leagues clubs whose primary function is to fund the football team. Profit or loss can't be considered a major factor since a club like Panthers or Wests have substantial leagues club backing. Balmain has been broke for years but Wests Ashfield leagues club had no problems picking up the multi-million dollar shortfalls. The Ashfield club is only one of four licensed clubs that have, can and would back Wests.

Crowds? If crowds were that definitive a criterion for club survival, the Roosters would have been dumped 30 years ago. Panthers would be the current favourite for the chopping block.

Juniors? Sydney clubs don't just operate a first grade team. They are generally responsible for the funding and administration of all RL in their districts. The Broncos are the most profitable team in the NRL. How many Under 12s teams do they run? Zero. Apart from their NRL and NYC squads, what other RL do they contribute to? None. If the clubs' contribution to junior RL in their regions was a deciding factor, the clubs to dump should be Broncos, Cows, Storm and Warriors.

If you don't think that this is an important criterion just look at Brit RL, where the SL clubs aren't responsible for anything other than their SL squads. Is that where we want OZ RL to go?

Onfield performance? Easy. Every Sydney club except Cronulla and Parramatta has won a GF in the last 20 years. Cronulla has all the developments currently taking place on their spare land which will provide a huge revenue stream until forever. Parra Leagues Club, which runs the RL team, has assets of $53 million and, in 2015, had revenue of $82 million. Cronulla is the only NRL team which owns its own stadium and stands to receive a % of sales and rental income from the development:

5a1be9d12b3b61223c6cc4b90bff1171.jpg

Growth potential? Easy. Roosters and Manly are trapped in little cul-de-sacs (or should that be culs-de-sac?) which, geographically and demographically, would be great places to host RU teams, but not RL. Unfortunately, this also means that they only need one diehard fan, a rich one, to whom spending $5 million a year on your favourite hobby is no big deal. Many of Manly's boardroom problems over the last 20 years have resulted not from this one fan but from having more than one prepared to foot the entire bill in return for total control. Nick Politis has been bankrolling the Chooks since the mid-70s. In 2016 his net worth was estimated at $594 million.

Neither of these clubs will ever experience a massive immigration of working class people who still make up the bulk of RL players and supporters.

Stadium? Irrelevant in Sydney when the NRL is encouraging more clubs to play more games at ANZ and Allianz. Deals like reciprocal member tickets will become the norm - if you are a Doggies member and Souths play a home game at ANZ against the Dogs, your season ticket will include this game.

Cronulla is the only team that owns its home ground, which I've already covered. The worst grounds? Leichhardt and Brookvale. Leichhardt doesn't matter because Wests can schedule the 3 lowest-drawing games of the year there and a 10K crowd will still be comfortable. Brookvale? It's unfortunate that so many recent Prime Ministers and NSW Premiers have come from the Northern Beaches because they have used their influence to obtain funding for Brookvale which was never justified by any rational measure.