farmduck

Tennis - the Emperor's New Clothes?

I don't follow tennis and I don't think I've ever watched an entire match. I know all the big names and I know there is a shitload of money floating around in prizes and endorsements. After Kyrgios's most recent performance in Indian Wells as a retarded tool who couldn't be bothered, I wondered how damaging this must be to his standing in the ATP.

Shock! Horror! Kyrgios is still ranked #26 in the World! see Live Rankings. How useless are the rest of these tennis players? I suppose we all know the story of the Emperor's New Clothes, behind all the hype, there's nothing there. Is this the real state of Tennis? A small gang of megastar gazillionaires surrounded by whoever turns up that day?

I haven't followed tennis for a long time.

It became very boring after a while.

I actually like the fact that blokes like Kyrgios and Tomic are around. It actually gives us some players to hate, which you really need as a fan. It just sucks that they are Aussies.

"How to muddy the waters" by Serena Williams:

"I wouldn't say my son deserved more money than my daughter because he's a man. It would be shocking."

Of course, Serena, but Djokovic didn't say that. He referred to men pulling more spectators. In music, artists with the more market appeal get more money. In groceries, brands with higher demand sell for higher prices. In real estate, more desirable areas sell for higher prices.

Professional sport is an industry based on supply and demand. You can't take the money derived from that structure and then claim that there are also social principles which should be allowed to distort the structure itself.

If you are going to say that women deserve a greater share of the profits despite their lower ability to generate those profits then what about the players ranked in the 300s? Can't you pay them more based on the legitimate commercial principle that, without the cannon fodder, tournaments would only run for 2 days and their TV value would be greatly diminished?

If payments for the bottom half of the tennis industry are based purely on commercial considerations then why should the payments at the top be any different? At what earnings threshhold do social principles become important?

I haven't followed tennis for a long time.

It became very boring after a while.

I actually like the fact that blokes like Kyrgios and Tomic are around. It actually gives us some players to hate, which you really need as a fan. It just sucks that they are Aussies.

Just too powerful these days, no finesse or subtlety. I've lost interest as well. Bring back Vitas Gerulaitis.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-30/nick-kyrgios-rants-on-biased-ruined-sport-of-tennis-in-miami/7285420

But a dispute flared in the first set after chair umpire Cedric Mourier called a code violation against Kyrgios for swatting a ball tossed his way by a ballperson into the stands.

On the next changeover, Kyrgios told the umpire his action was not intentional and said a star player such as 14-time major champion Rafael Nadal would not have been called out for the same action.

"Anyone else, like Rafa did that, you would keep it cool," Kyrgios told the umpire.

"This game is biased as anything. You all know it as well. It's biased as shit, this game. What else has it got to hide? It's ruined. Absolutely ruined."

Yep but you still keep taking the money

Commentators were shit.

Heard the guy going on about the number 23 (she was going for her 23rd title), saying "Michael Jackson and Le Bron James wore that number".

WTF?

They obviously saved the real commentators for the Men's final.

Mens final was a cracker.

Wen the full 5 sets, and either bloke could have won it.

Nadal got himself up a break early on in the 5th, but Federer took control and came back to win. 

This was the first full tennis match I have watched in years. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Was a great game.

So many turns, it could have gone either way.

Nice to hear Federer say that it wasn't about winning, it was about his fitness and doing his best.

I wish NRL players death stared their opponents as much as tennis players do.

NRL players could also learn a thing or two about leaving things on the field from these tennis guys.

*None of what I just wrote applies to Kyrgios or Tomic who are comlete fucking disgraces to the game, sport and the country.  

So Jelena Dokic’s autobiography is out and she apparently opens up about physical, emotional and psychological abuse from her father.

The Media is straight onto it and wants to blame someone for letting it happen when it was right in everyone’s face in a very public way.

Not sure what to make of that but pretty sure the average punter could see he was a fuckwit.

But the average punter rarely gets listened to, does he?

Otherwise we wouldn’t be faced with the disgraceful appearance of Tomic and Kyrgios supposedly playing for our country.

Alex Di Minaur take a bow.

Loved watching this kid win in Brisbane.

Every now and then you wonder if you are seeing the next big thing.

I don't know if he is, but the fact that he's not Kyrgios or Tomic is a massive bonus for Aussie Tennis.

He plays with guts, determination and passion like a true Aussie battler.

Win, lose or draw, that is good enough for me. 

3 hours ago, Diddee said:

I don't know if he is, but the fact that he's not Kyrgios or Tomic is a massive bonus for Aussie Tennis.

I thought that he was playing great as well. Unfortunately he came out in the media saying that he draws inspiration from the NSW Origin team...hardly inspirational IMHO!!

8 hours ago, Diddee said:

I'm unfortunately skeptical. I remember thinking the same about Kyrgios and he turned into a full fledged flog. For me, he's far more of a loss than Tomic. There's genuine, raw, talent in Nick and he's just a twat.

8 hours ago, Diddee said:

I'm unfortunately skeptical. I remember thinking the same about Kyrgios and he turned into a full fledged flog. For me, he's far more of a loss than Tomic. There's genuine, raw, talent in Nick and he's just a twat.

I’m with you on that, but there is something exciting in just thinking that we might be seeing the beginning of a truly great career. 

Doesn’t matter what the sport, but being able to tell the grandkids that you saw someone when they were just beginners is appealing.