farmduck

Is Australia really hurting global RL?

This is from the website SportingNews...don't know who gave the ratings but they were spot on.

Boyd Cordner 4.5/10

That low score has more to do with the fact that he went missing a bit as a leader when Australia needed him most. 

Down big time on the scoreboard in the second half, the Kangaroos needed a serious talking to - you've seen Cam Smith give them - but it just wasn't there. 

1 hour ago, sydgeoff said:

This is from the website SportingNews...don't know who gave the ratings but they were spot on.

Boyd Cordner 4.5/10

That low score has more to do with the fact that he went missing a bit as a leader when Australia needed him most. 

Down big time on the scoreboard in the second half, the Kangaroos needed a serious talking to - you've seen Cam Smith give them - but it just wasn't there. 

Yes, but that was higher than most of the team.

You are very harsh on Cordner. Champion player, and quiet achiever.

6 hours ago, Harry Sack said:

It was a very quiet performance from Cordner for sure. One bad game does not a shit player make IMO.

But you would like to think that his first game as a Test captain he would really try to put his stamp on the game.

1 hour ago, Mr Chook said:

Boyd Cordner is the first player in RL history to captain NSW to a series win, his club to a Premiership and his Country to a Test win all in the same year.

Woopie  fucking do mate...I am pretty sure that Cameron Smith has done the same except with Queensland.  My point is that Cordner is pretty much just a tackler who might catch a ball occasionally and fall over the try line. I personally have never seen him make a line break or set up a try or change the course of a game. In the GF Jake Friend was going all the talking to the refs, urging his team forward etc and even did the captains speech after. Phil Gould did not rate Cordner as good enough this year to play in the Origin series, however Fitter picked him probably because of the Rooster connection.  In his first captains game for Australia  I thought he may have been more enthusiastic but he was nowhere to be seen...captain-wise.

If Cordner was a Queens lander. ..would you rate him?....I think would would probably put him in the Dallas Johnson category of player...great tackler but has not much more.

Dallas Johnson was a very underrated player, but I agree he was pretty much a tackler.

Cordner in the other hand has a great running game and his ruck speed is fantastic.

Sydgeoff, I think you are being a bit biased because of the Blues connection.

As for Gould’s opinion, do you really want to agree with someone like him? The whole thing just was a pre Origin rev up anyway, and Cordner rose to the challenge.

1 hour ago, Diddee said:

Dallas Johnson was a very underrated player, but I agree he was pretty much a tackler.

Cordner in the other hand has a great running game and his ruck speed is fantastic.

Sydgeoff, I think you are being a bit biased because of the Blues connection.

As for Gould’s opinion, do you really want to agree with someone like him? The whole thing just was a pre Origin rev up anyway, and Cordner rose to the challenge.

Sorry mate...I just do not rate him as a Test player let alone a Test captain.  It was one of the rare things that I agreed with Gould on. His performance as the Test captain against NZ was woeful. 

I think Cordner is an excellent player.

Maybe not 'Captain of Australia' good, but yes a very good player.

Thing is he really did fall into the job by way of Inglis being a fucking moron. Also, how the fuck did anyone think that Inglis would be a good choice as captain of Australia?

I know he's been there for a long time, and was a brilliant player at one stage (he's more just a decent player these days), but that doesn't make you captain material.

England haven't been 'on track' for a long time.

The only way they will ever compete at that level again is to get more English players into the NRL. Every Kiwi player comes from the NRL and they are now able to compete against Australia and actually win some games. A few Burgesses, Gareth Widdop and an over the hill James Graham aren't enough.