farmduck

South Australian "bush" fires

Very sad about all the people and animals who died, etc, etc. What I don't understand is how you can have such devastating bushfires in an area with no bush. When I first saw the reports I checked the area on Google Earth and could barely even find a tree. It all seems to be wheat and sheep country. Farmers had been complaining about how poor this year's wheat crop was so there couldn't have been too much fuel in those paddocks. If you've ever had sheep you'll know that, after the first week, there's nothing left in those paddocks.

So, how do you have a bush fire when there's nothing to burn? Look at this photo:

6980766-3x2-700x467.jpg

Had a bit to do with fires unfortunately.

Its the intensity of the radiating heat, and once that gets going there's no stopping it.

So the fires started in a fuelled up area but with the combination of major, already hot wind, no moisture just combust everything and keeps going.

I live in SA and still hearing stories of hay bales and crops igniting spontaneously because of the stored heat from the fires that happened weeks ago.

Most people don't understand that in a big fire and disastrous conditions, the radiating heat from a fire will burn you long before the flames do.  

All credit to the volunteer firies I say,.....except the handful of them who light fires so they can play hero.

Had a bit to do with fires unfortunately.

Its the intensity of the radiating heat, and once that gets going there's no stopping it.

So the fires started in a fuelled up area but with the combination of major, already hot wind, no moisture just combust everything and keeps going.

I live in SA and still hearing stories of hay bales and crops igniting spontaneously because of the stored heat from the fires that happened weeks ago.

Most people don't understand that in a big fire and disastrous conditions, the radiating heat from a fire will burn you long before the flames do.  

All credit to the volunteer firies I say,.....except the handful of them who light fires so they can play hero.

I have worked in many places where people deliberately start dramas so they get the credit for solving them at a later date...and it shits me because the bosses should be able to see through their behaviour.

As for any bushfire or any fire at all for that matter, it is a disaster. A little known fact but former Test halfback Barry Muir lost his mother in a housefire at Coolangatta. That would be a horrible way to die.

I have worked in many places where people deliberately start dramas so they get the credit for solving them at a later date...and it shits me because the bosses should be able to see through their behaviour.

As for any bushfire or any fire at all for that matter, it is a disaster. A little known fact but former Test halfback Barry Muir lost his mother in a housefire at Coolangatta. That would be a horrible way to die.

What can I say, but 'Shit floats to the top'.

Just have to look at the administration of the sporting codes to see that.

We all know it the average bloke with good intentions who really holds things together.