farmduck

Panthers Punt Cleary

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-19/ivan-cleary-penrith-panthers-coach-nrl-terminated/6867246

Penrith Panthers axe coach Ivan Cleary after NRL season of struggle

The Penrith Panthers have terminated the contract of NRL coach Ivan Cleary.

Following a poor season which saw the Panthers finish 11th on the NRL ladder, the club has terminated the final year of Cleary's contract, effective immediately.

"Ivan Cleary has done a tremendous job in his four years at the Panthers," club executive general manager Phil Gould said in a Panthers statement.

"He has laid the foundation for the future and we are enormously grateful for his contribution to the club.

"We wish Ivan, his wife Rebecca and his family all the very best for the future."

His departure follows the loss of Penrith assistant coach Trent Barrett who is taking the reins as Manly head coach in 2016.

Former Panthers player and Gold Coast coach John Cartwright is expected to be one of the contenders to replace Barrett. Cartwright has recently relocated to Sydney from the Gold Coast.

Laugh all you want .......it's true.

Brisbane fell into the deepest darkest hole in their entire history while Wallace wore the broncos no.7.

2 yrs after offing him......we are grand finalists.

Panthers should pay heed .......

I'll go Tigers.

Oh, that's a good one actually. Wobbie would be on the phone to him right now.

I can't believe how quickly they announced Griffin.

They've been in talks with the Griff for weeks apparently. KFC coming on board as a major sponsor too apparently.

I have lost a lot of respect for Cleary.."I intend to sat at West Tigers", and like everybody in the world, I have no respect for Gould. I hope it backfires and Nathan Cleary decides to go to Brisbane, Roosters...just somewhere or anywhere away from Gould.

I don't understand why Cleary would want to go back to the club (and the man in charge) who sacked him just a few years ago.

Obviously he thinks he has a better chance of winning a Premiership with Penrith than with Wests, which isn't hard to see why - Penrith have a massive junior base, the Panthers Group to funnel money in, and Gould who is able to get positive media coverage of the club which results in more sponsorships and TPAs.

Just like Geoff, I've lost a lot of respect for Cleary. All the fuss he made over Mitch Moses wanting out last season, all that talk about being 'on the bus', and he leaves the club in the lurch with two seasons remaining on his contract. What a grub. I hope the Tigers were able to work out some sort of monetary compensation from either the Panthers or Cleary for releasing him from his contract.

I actually think the Tigers have done well out of this.

Maguire is a good coach. A premiership winner no less. It will be interesting to see how he fares at a less glamorous (and poorer) club.

I don't get the Ivan Cleary love. He hasn't achieved anything in the game yet, but he seems to be considered some sort of supercoach. His career coaching record sits at 47% from over 300 games. At no club he has coached at has he had a record of over 50% wins. Why is this bloke so in-demand?

Ivan Cleary claims the sex tape involving Tyrone May has greatly affected the Panthers and is responsible for their poor start to the season.

That's weird because I thought it was poor coaching, fallout with Gould and the fact that the players are shit.