farmduck

A-League ranked world's 99th best football league

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-07/a-league-ranked-worlds-99th-best/5246348

Australia's A-League has been ranked worse than national soccer leagues in Zimbabwe, Zambia and the Congo.

The competition came in at number 99 on the International Federation of Football History and Statistics' annual list of the world's 125 strongest leagues, down from 52nd last year.

The rankings, produced annually since 1991, are based on club results from national and intercontinental competitions.

Spain's La Liga topped the rankings for a fourth year in a row, boosted by the performance of their best teams Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid and Barcelona.

The English Premier League moved up to second spot, replacing Brazil's Serie A which slipped to fifth.

German's Bundesliga was ranked third ahead of the Italian Serie A in fourth.

Argentina, France, Russia, Colombia and Romania rounded out the top 10.

Despite coming in at 117th, New Zealand's domestic league was voted number one within the Oceania Football Confederation given Australia's inclusion in the Asian Football Confederation.

AAP

I've never watched an entire soccer match in my life. I've heard people telling me for 40 years how great it is and how it's going to take over from all the other football codes. They've had 130 years now. How long is this takeover gonna take?

You can see some really great athletic and skillful plays in soccer, unfortunately mostly not in Australia and even overseas you have to put up with the slow times that come with it.

Teams that play defensively are incredibly boring to watch.

The rankings, produced annually since 1991, are based on club results from national and intercontinental competitions

I don't see how this would work.

How is a 2-1 scoreline in the Congo any different than a 2-1 scoreline in Australia?

There are a lot of measures you would use like club games across Leagues. If 10 NRL clubs beat 10 SL clubs then the 10 SL clubs beat 10 USA clubs, you would rank the US League below the NRL. Also there would be World rankings for players, based on pay and performance so if the Congo League had 10 players in the top 100 and the A-League had 1 then you would rank the Congo higher.

Anyone watching the Wanderers in the Asian Champion's League? Massive following out West of Sydney.

1 - 0 up in the first game against Al-Hilal and now the pressure is on to win the second leg with not much fan support over there in Saudi Arabia.

Wanderers great win and now Asian Champions.

Hear they haven't won a game in A-League yet this season though.

Still haven't won.

I'm loving the A-League though. It is really starting to take off. Real interest, great following. We are pretty safe with gallop at the helm but if they ever get someone who wants to seriously put a dent in the NRL market, then look out NRL. 

The only way soccer has survived and is now thriving is because they went truly National, they fucked off local sentiment and shit underperforming teams and created something appealing to market.

Parra, Tigers, Sharks and the panthers should all be on notice in the NRL. 

What?

Why not Manly, Canterbury, Easts and St George Illawarra?

Well, the dragons merged with illawarra and have the cronulla and south area covered.

The other teams are successful financially and on the field. I agree though that in time they might need to go.

Still haven't won.

I'm loving the A-League though. It is really starting to take off. Real interest, great following. We are pretty safe with gallop at the helm but if they ever get someone who wants to seriously put a dent in the NRL market, then look out NRL. 

The only way soccer has survived and is now thriving is because they went truly National, they fucked off local sentiment and shit underperforming teams and created something appealing to market.

Parra, Tigers, Sharks and the panthers should all be on notice in the NRL. 

Oh, and if they decide to play it in the winter. If they keep it in the off season I hope it goes great guns.

Still wont watch it though. 90 mins of pussy footing around for a 0-0 draw doesn't interest me at all.

Well, the dragons merged with illawarra and have the cronulla and south area covered.

The other teams are successful financially and on the field. I agree though that in time they might need to go.

Parra is successfully financially.

On-field success means nothing in regards to whether a team has a place in the League.