sydgeoff

Todays Observations

15 hours ago, sydgeoff said:

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling

VALE JOHN PAYNE

Easts Tigers community are saddened to hear of the passing of former Tiger great John Payne.

Payne played his junior football with Brisbane Wests before making his first grade debut with the Valley Diehards in 1968.

Payne later played in the NSWRL competition, representing the North Sydney Bears, the Parramatta Eels and the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles.

In 1975 Payne returned to Brisbane and signed with the Tigers, playing at Langlands Park until 1977. He was a member of the 1976 grand final side.

Payne signed with the Norths Devils in 1978 where he finished his playing career.

A very destructive player, Payne could tear the opposition to shreds with his attack and brutal defence. 

Payne represented both Queensland and Australia in 1976.

Payne later coached in the Brisbane Rugby League competition, including reserve grade at both the Easts Tigers and Wynnum Manly Seagulls, before coaching first grade at Souths Magpies.

Payney will be sorely missed.

Met John at at quite a few functions when I was involved in hospitality- was a top bloke and a good mate of a mate. Funny bastard. Loved the way he played his footy. Was also at a function yesterday and Greg Oliphant, Dessie and Rod Morris and Geoff Naylor all spoke very highly of him. A loveable rogue was the gyst I got. RIP John Payne.

Just had a phone call from a mate in Mackay and he just heard on the radio that Billy J Smith died today. The family apparently switched off his life support system after he fell over near the Caxton Hotel recently.

Billy J was a Brisbane radio "icon" from the late 60s and he called the Ist Origin in 1980.

That is Billy J beside Wally Lewis...how good does that Easts Jersey look?

Brl-Wally Lewis.jpg

5 minutes ago, sydgeoff said:

Just had a phone call from a mate in Mackay and he just heard on the radio that Billy J Smith died today. The family apparently switched off his life support system after he fell over near the Caxton Hotel recently.

Billy J was a Brisbane radio "icon" from the late 60s and he called the Ist Origin in 1980.

That is Billy J beside Wally Lewis...how good does that Easts Jersey look?

Brl-Wally Lewis.jpg

FMD Sydegeoff. “Here’s a bloke who just died - How good is that footy jumper?”.

Almost as bad as attending a funeral and commenting on how good the sausage rolls tasted at the wake.

You seriously crack me up.

Just rang my mother...she said there is a footballer who has just been moved into the same nursing home as her. Lionel Morgan...former Wynnum-Manly winger and the first Indigenous player to play Test football. The poor cunt has really bad dementia and doesn't really know where the fuck he his.His wife wants nothing to do with him and it is his kids that put him in there...pretty sad.

21 hours ago, sydgeoff said:

Just rang my mother...she said there is a footballer who has just been moved into the same nursing home as her. Lionel Morgan...former Wynnum-Manly winger and the first Indigenous player to play Test football. The poor cunt has really bad dementia and doesn't really know where the fuck he his.His wife wants nothing to do with him and it is his kids that put him in there...pretty sad.

Wow. Just read up on him. First Indigenous person to represent Australia at International level in any sport and that was 1960. Hard to believe.

Men of League would love to hear about that Sydgeoff.

Sad how life can turn out. No point heralding his achievements after he’s gone, but the probably wouldn’t mean much to him now anyway.

38 minutes ago, sydgeoff said:

I was cleaning up one of my cupboards last night and I found eleven T shirts that I have bought over the years that I have never worn, many still in the plastic packets. 

Yes, well it is very hard to know what to do with Rabbitohs, Storm and Roosters Premiership merchandise.

You can’t even regift it without offending someone.

7 minutes ago, Diddee said:

Yes, well it is very hard to know what to do with Rabbitohs, Storm and Roosters Premiership merchandise.

You can’t even regift it without offending someone.

I have absolutely no NRL merchandise at all...I do have an excellent Origin T shirt that I bought in Thailand but I have worn that for the last 2 years only on Origin nights. The ones that I have not worn include 3 Rolling Stones shirts, one England 2003 RU World Cup shirt (a Pommie bitch that I was fucking at the time bought it for me), a Renior exhibition shirt from 1994 and several others.

Trying not to bring the mood down, but fuck that Christchurch shooting was bad.

Everyone I talk to is feeling pretty miserable.

Pretty certain there needs to be an instant death penalty, and just never mention the killers name again.

This will now play out in the courts and media for months, and the pricks responsible will enjoy publicity and a sense of their own importance and celebrity.

We should not give them that. Quick trial, clean execution and forget them.

Remember the victims but fuck them, they were never part of the human race.