sydgeoff

Books you are reading.

I am not a great book worm...never have been...but I do like non-fiction particularly autobiographies and boigraphies.Currently reading "The Penalty" by Josh Massoud,the story behind the match-fixing stuff involving the late Ryan Tandy.Not a bad read so far but I get a bit bogged down in the legal bullshit,but the footy stuff is OK.

I have ordered the John Sattler book "Glory Glory" by Peter Badel from the local library so should get it tomorrow. I guess the majority will be about Souths and rightly so,but I am interested to see if he has any mention of his time with Brisbane Wests and Brisbane Norths.He came up from Sydney to Brisbane on massive money at the time,and from stories I have heard Wests got sick of him and offloaded him to Norths where he teamed up with Tommy Bishop,a heap of Norths hardheads and a young Daryl Brohman.Cannot wait to read it.post-37-0-16603700-1409559040_thumb.jpgpost-37-0-51249400-1409559087_thumb.jpgpost-37-0-18988000-1409559123_thumb.jpg

I bought the book about the 1974 Western Division Amco Cup win for Dad's Xmas present the other day but I'm currently reading it before he gets it.

The mother in law is a major bookworm and has a shitload of books. i was snooping around her place for a read at the start of the year and found a whole box full of Jack Reacher books. I took the whole box and read the lot. Loved them all. There is a new one coming out shortly which I'm waiting on being released.

JUst finished the Sattler book....great read! I like the fact that he did mention his BRL days and some of our great players of that time. He did not have much success in the BRL,in fact he coached Wests in 1974 to the wooden spoon and the next year they won the premiership (after he left). My second cousin Russell Hughes gave him 18 stitches around the head as well,so there was the family connection in the book for me as well.Russell also bopped Graeme Langlands  in an interstate game in 1971 so he had 2 legend scalps. Sattler also mentioned John Lang a fair few times in the book both as a great player and great bloke that he always has been.

Almost finished Lee Child's new book - Personal.

4 world class snipers are the prime suspects for an assassination attempt on the French President. Only some new, high tech bullet proof glass saved him. Jack Reacher is brought in to assist as he put one of those snipers in prison 15 years earlier and knows how the guy ticks. They figure out the assassination attempt from 1600m was just a practice run for a bigger event...

A G8 Summit is due in London and Reacher is given the almost impossible task of finding and eliminating the snipers somewhere within a 2km radius of where the Summit is being held before the 8 biggest world leaders are put in mortal danger.

Almost finished Lee Child's new book - Personal.

4 world class snipers are the prime suspects for an assassination attempt on the French President. Only some new, high tech bullet proof glass saved him. Jack Reacher is brought in to assist as he put one of those snipers in prison 15 years earlier and knows how the guy ticks. They figure out the assassination attempt from 1600m was just a practice run for a bigger event...

A G8 Summit is due in London and Reacher is given the almost impossible task of finding and eliminating the snipers somewhere within a 2km radius of where the Summit is being held before the 8 biggest world leaders are put in mortal danger.

I didn't think it was good as the earlier Reacher books. You may like Vince Flynn's, Mitch Rapp series.

Enjoyed Glory Glory.

Another worth a read is John Ellicott's Uncommon Heroes.

I bought Glory Glory for Dad for Dad's day and will scrounge it for a read when he's finished ( always buy dad a book that I want to read- is that wrong?)

I bought the book about the 1974 Western Division Amco Cup win for Dad's Xmas present the other day but I'm currently reading it before he gets it.

The Night the Music Died is the name of the book and it was a good read. They also go into great detail about the infamous 1974 Western Division v Great Britain game held out at Orange NSW. Many say it was the most brutal game of Rugby league ever played. Big pommy Jim Mills v the boys from the bush who didn't take a backward step.

Lots of quotes from the players involved and even some from Ray Warren who started his TV commentating career that same year for the Amco Cup.

Not bad Quint. certainly not one of his best efforts, but quite good.

He has a new one coming out soon.

What's your favourite?

Hard to pick between a few really.

It, The Shining, Misery, Different Seasons probably stand out the most.

I have a soft spot for Needful Things as it was the first of his books I ever read. 

I'm quite a bit behind in my reading though and haven't caught up on a lot of his more recent stuff. I've got a stack of his books at home which have gone untouched for a long time.

I keep meaning to get back into reading more, but when I'm not busy I find myself either watching TV or on the net these days. 

Hard to pick between a few really.

It, The Shining, Misery, Different Seasons probably stand out the most.

I have a soft spot for Needful Things as it was the first of his books I ever read. 

I'm quite a bit behind in my reading though and haven't caught up on a lot of his more recent stuff. I've got a stack of his books at home which have gone untouched for a long time.

I keep meaning to get back into reading more, but when I'm not busy I find myself either watching TV or on the net these days. 

I love 'The Stand' and  am currently rereading "The  Long Walk' for about the 5th time (written under his pseudonym Richard Bachman).

The Dark tower series is also very good.

Also his collaboration with Peter Straub on "The Black House" is  outstanding.

I started The Dark Tower (was halfway through The Gunslinger)...but that was when I pretty much stopped reading so I didn't finish it. I have the first 4 of the series and really want to read them sometime.

I have The Long Walk as well but also have yet to read it. Same as Black House.

This is the long list of King books I own but haven't yet read along with those three:

Under the Dome

Desperation

The Talisman

Just After Sunset

Full Dark, No Stars

Insomnia

The Regulators

The Long Walk

Bag of Bones

Like I said, I'm a bit behind.  :lol:

I started reading From a Buick 8 but I found it boring so I gave up on it about halfway through. 

Apart from that I think his worst book I've read would probably be Dreamcatcher (the movie was fucking awful too).

I have heard of Doctor Sleep and will definitely check it out when I can. 

Never read The Stand, but I have heard great things about it. They are in the process of making a movie from it now (Dark Tower as well).

I forgot to mention The Eyes of the Dragon. I loved that book. Was a departure from what he normally does - more of a fantasy than his other stuff.