farmduck

Player movements

I know it's rude to mention other forums on a forum but this guy has the best, most accurate list of Player Movements I've found on the Webz

http://nrlmerrygoround.boards.net/board/1/nrl-merry-round

I am not connected with that site other than being an ordinary member.

I find that site contrived, self-aggrandising and out right misinformed.

For example, Shane Flanagan will not be the coach of the Cronulla Sharks in 2014 because he has been found guilty of systematically drugging up his players. 

I find that site contrived, self-aggrandising and out right misinformed.

For example, Shane Flanagan will not be the coach of the Cronulla Sharks in 2014 because he has been found guilty of systematically drugging up his players. 

So did you leave a message in his shout box, advising him to change Flanagan?

Care to provide any supporting evidence of the "contrived, self-aggrandising and out right misinformed" nature of the site? Having one mistake isn't "outright misinformed," it's approximately 0.016% misinformed.

Penrith hit by age-old mystery over Panther Wellington Albert

• JOSH MASSOUD AND JAMES HOOPER
  • THE DAILY TELEGRAPH
  • MAY 09, 2014 12:00AM

HIS passport says 19. His bio on the official RLWC website says 20. His PNG coaches say 21.

There’s no doubt Wellington Albert’s arrival at Penrith is a great rugby league story, with the Panthers having to order custom-made boots to fit his size 15 feet.

But confusion over Albert’s real age raised doubts over whether he was eligible for the U20s competition.

Recruited from the PNG southern highlands in January, Albert featured in five Holden Cup matches prior to suffering a season-ending shoulder injury.

NRL rules deem players who turn 21 in the same calendar year as too old to participate.

That would appear to exclude Albert, provided his 3 September 1993 birthdate on the Kumuls section of last year’s RLWC website is accurate.

That would have made him 20 years old when the tournament took place last October.

However, one former PNG staffer on Thursday said he was of the belief that Albert was actually 21 at the time of his International debut.

Reports of his signing for Penrith early this year, from PNG-press and the team’s official Facebook page, also claim the 194cm giant is 21.

His PNG passport, lodged as part of Penrith’s two-year contract, states his birthdate as 3 September 1994.

The NRL said it was content to rely on the document.

Familiar with the problem of less-than-fastidious record keeping in some foreign countries, Panthers boss Phil Gould felt the difference of one or two years was not as great once players progress into their late teens.

“The elite kids are starting to play against older men anyway,” Gould said.

“But from ages 5-16 the physical difference of a year or two can be quite dramatic.

“It’s a matter well worth discussing. I’m not sure what the answer is, though.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226910890430

Broncos Hunting a spot for Karmichael with full house in Brisbane’s fullback ranks

• CHRIS GARRY EXCLUSIVE
  • THE COURIER-MAIL
  • MAY 09, 2014 12:00AM

904570-0cfc9e42-d687-11e3-95ae-9151c7cd2
Karmichael Hunt playing for the Broncos before leaving to play AFL. Source: News Limited

SIGNING Anthony Milford could cost the Broncos the chance to regain Karmichael Hunt.

Hunt’s manager David Riolo has revealed the Broncos are in danger of missing out on the Gold Coast Sun to a rival NRL club because they have already bought marquee players in his positions.

Hunt’s AFL career will end this season and the Broncos were thought to be raging favourites to re-sign their premiership-winning fullback.

But Riolo revealed Hunt wanted to play five-eighth or fullback and the Broncos have those positions covered next season.

Milford, who is weighing up his three-year commitment to Brisbane, has been told he will play five-eighth for the Broncos while Ben Barba can only play fullback.

Hunt was a fullback and occasional five-eighth during his decorated league career.

While he could play wing, it is unlikely he would come back to rugby league to run down a sideline.

Asked if predictions Hunt would only play for Brisbane if he returned to rugby league were accurate, Riolo said: “No, not at all”.

“The Broncos would definitely be the first and last club we discuss with however it depends on where he sits within their roster.

“They have made signings around their key positions, especially with Milford and Barba there.

“Karmichael’s rugby league positions are fullback or five-eighth so how that fits in remains to be seen.’’

Melbourne, Cronulla and South Sydney loom as Hunt’s most likely destinations if he does not want to play out of position at the Broncos.

Souths offered Hunt a three-year $750,000 contract in 2009, Hunt’s last year in the NRL.

Chief executive Shane Richardson, who held the same position in 2009, told The Courier-Mail on Thursday he had not spoken to Hunt or his manager recently.Hunt, who will be 28 next season, is yet to play a game in his third season with the Suns.

AFL commentators are adamant he is not a bust in their code, more the victim of cruel injuries.

He is off contract at the end of the season and the NRL’s salary cap shake-up could help deliver Hunt back to the code.

Marquee allowances have been streamlined and chief executive Dave Smith now has the power to centrally contract players, which is what the AFL did to lure Hunt away from the 13-man game.

Riolo said the salary cap changes announced by the NRL would help Hunt and others such as Israel Folau return to league.

“You would think they will be the ones that benefit from a centrally contracted system,” he said.

“I imagine it is a benefit to people who can cross codes and the marquee players of our game. Guys like Karmichael and Israel fit that bill.”

The central contract system, which has been used by the A-League and Australian Rugby Union for years, is supported by the Broncos who have been hardest hit by rugby raids.

“If the discretionary rules were set up (in previous years), perhaps when Karmichael, Israel Folau, Wendell Sailor and Lote Tuqiri were up for grabs, the game would have been able to stand with the Broncos,” Broncos chief executive Paul White said.

The Suns did not return calls from The Courier-Mail.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226910904460

Benji2.jpg

OFFICIAL: BENJI MARSHALL JOINS DRAGONS

Dragons

May 9, 2014

ST GEORGE Illawarra have officially announced the signing of Benji Marshall.

The former Wests Tigers star will wear the Red V for the next two-and-a-half years until the end of the 2016 NRL season.

Marshall was released from his Super Rugby contract with the Auckland Blues in April, after both parties mutually agreed it would be best if the 29-year-old returned to rugby league.

“I’m excited to be part of such a great club like the Dragons, I’m looking forward to meeting the boys and working hard,” Marshall said at a press conference on Friday night.

“I have a point to prove. Not to everyone else, but to myself. I left on a low. My form was terrible.”

Dragons coach Steve Price was pleased the club were able to secure Marshall.

“Benji is a quality player who I believe will bring that real “x-factor”, especially in our attack,” said Price.

“I have met with him a couple of times, he is a very proud man who wasn’t happy with how his rugby league career ended and is really determined to make the most of his second chance in rugby league.

“He is fit, he trained at number 15, fullback in rugby union throughout the off-season and it will not take too long for him to get back into the swing of rugby league. He is a winner, a senior player who will be a great fit for our squad.”

St George Illawarra and Cronulla were both in the hunt for Marshall’s signature.

The Sharks expressed their disappointed on Friday afternoon when Marshall told them he had accepted the Dragons offer.

“We made Benji a very good offer and are disappointed he won’t be joining our club,” Sharks CEO Steve Noyce said.

“We have strong values surrounding mateship here at the Sharks and with a collection of his good friends at the club thought that may have swayed him. As it turned out that obviously wasn’t the priority for him with his final decision. We can accept that and we wish him well.”

481058629-700x473.jpg

MOA RE-SIGNS WITH ROOSTERS

Roosters

May 9, 2014

THE Sydney Roosters have announced the re-signing of prop Sam Moa on a two-year deal until the end of 2016.

The 27-year-old started his NRL career at the Cronulla Sharks in 2008 before spending a four years at Super League club Hull FC.

He returned to Australia in 2013, signing a two-year deal with the Tricolours.

“I’ve been a part of a few different clubs but feel like I’ve really found a home here at the Roosters. I’ve worked hard to get to where I am and am so glad to be part of such a well-run organisation from the top down,” said Moa.

“Despite interest from other clubs, I always wanted to stay a Rooster and am so happy that I’m able to. I look forward to continuing to work hard with my teammates to maintain and build on the standards we pride ourselves on.”

Exclusive: Sydney Roosters ready to rebuild Blake Ferguson by offering career lifeline

• JAMES HOOPER
  • THE DAILY TELEGRAPH
  • MAY 11, 2014 12:00AM

919889-e39d920c-d7fa-11e3-8125-0ad81a58d
Anthony Mundine and Blake Ferguson at the Elouera-tony Mundine Gym. Source: News Limited

THE Sydney Roosters have asked the NRL to consider registering a contract for Blake Ferguson before June 30 this season, claiming they can help get the ex-NSW winger’s life back on track.

De-registered since the Canberra Raiders tore up his contract last September, the Roosters believe in the right environment with strong discipline Ferguson deserves a second chance at trying to make a career in the NRL.

Ferguson was charged and found guilty of indecent assault in Cronulla last year, with Sutherland Court handing him a two-year good behaviour bond in February.

The Sunday Telegraph has learned Roosters chief operating officer Brian Canavan has met with NRL chief operating officer Jim Doyle to discuss the governing body’s stance on registering a contract for Ferguson.

With Sonny Bill Williams set to return to rugby next year, the Roosters have money available in the salary cap to accommodate Ferguson.

The Roosters have drawn up a proposal about how the club intends to try and help rehabilitate the troubled ex-NRL player, but at this stage the NRL is holding firm about refraining from registering Ferguson this year.

Currently sidelined for six months after suffering a broken left ankle and split bone in his left leg, Ferguson only recently had a moon boot removed and still has pins inserted in his leg.

The Roosters have asked the NRL to register a contract so they can begin his rehabilitation through the club’s medical staff and welcome him back into a football environment, paving the way for the possibility of a return in the NSW Cup or even the NRL later this season.

Privately, the Chooks believe Ferguson could be as devastating as Greg Inglis in terms of his playing talent on the field, provided his off-field life is settled.

NRL chief operating officer Jim Doyle refused to respond to questions about Ferguson, but the ex-NSW winger’s agent Sam Ayoub confirmed the Roosters were in discussions about getting the NRL to register a contract.

“For the first time in a long time I see a different Blake,” Ayoub said.

“He’s settled, he’s got a good partner, a good support network around him and a club that wants to help him.

“We’re all doing our bit to try and help him try and piece everything back together.

"He’s only 24 and we feel he’s served his time out of the game.

"Hopefully we can work with the NRL to try and get his life back.”

The Roosters believe the club boasts a strong track record when it comes to helping players who have a history of making mistakes off the field, citing co-captain Jake Friend and 2010 Dally M Medallist Todd Carney as examples.

This time last year Ferguson was flying high, with Blues coach Laurie Daley picking him to make his NSW Origin debut on the right wing.

But the ex-NRL star brought it all undone with one booze-fuelled night in Cronulla in June, throwing the NSW Origin camp for Game Two of last year’s series into turmoil.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226912922591

Wests Tigers tell St George Illawarra Dragons pay up or Benji Marshall won’t play

• JAMES PHELPS
  • THE DAILY TELEGRAPH
  • MAY 11, 2014 12:00AM

951463-8fcc49e8-d822-11e3-8125-0ad81a58d
Benji Marshall at Kogarah. Source: News Corp Australia

BENJI Marshall’s $1.1m rugby league returned will be blocked by the Wests Tigers with the walkout’s former club telling St George Illawarra they will stop NRL from registering his contract until they pay them $200,000 in compensation.

In a stunning development that comes just a day after Marshall announced he had signed a 31 month deal to return to the NRL with the Dragons, the Wests Tigers on Saturday informed the NRL that they would activate a clause in the Marshall’s release contract which prevents the governing body from registering his contract until a financial settlement between the two clubs is reached.

The Sunday Telegraph has exclusively obtained the bombshell clause which will see Marshall sidelined until the Tigers reach a $200,000 agreement with the Dragons with Marshall’s former club demanding a piece of St George Illawarra’s gate receipts.

“For the 2014 and 2015 season, if the player returns to the NRL than the Wests Tigers and the new club will have to agree on commercial terms,’’ the clause says.

Making the contract announced at a rushed pressed conference at St George Leagues club on Friday evening worthless, the Tigers sent correspondence to the NRL on Saturday directing them not to register the contract because they had not reach a financial settlement with the Dragons.

Tigers CEO Grant Mayer last night said he was shocked by the announcement given the Dragons had not accepted the commercial terms they put to the Dragons last week.

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal the club has asked for $200,000 over two years.

“The clause was put in there to protect the club,’’ Mayer said.

“It was contract for 2014 and 15 and at the time of the release he made it quite clear he would not play against the Wests Tigers.

"We never thought the clause would be enforced but here we are eight months later enforcing it.

"The clause is there to protect the club and the NRL has been made well aware that they can’t register his contract until an agreement is reached.’’

”We made this clear to his manager from the outset,’’ Mayer said.

“We want to see Benji get his deal done and think it is great that he has a future with the Dragons but for us we need to protect our club.

"The Dragons have reached an agreement with Benji and the NRL but they can’t do anything with that until we come to a commercial arrangement.’’

Mayer he said the Friday press-conference must be an indication the Dragons were prepared to meet their terms.

“I am surprised they announced it without an agreement,’’ Mayer said.

“They are certainly aware of our position and it was a very hectic afternoon so maybe they did not have time to make contact with our club and just pushed ahead with the announcement.’’

Mayer said the commercial demand was very generous and did not have to be paid in cash.

“We have made it clear that it doesn’t have to be cash,’’ Mayer said

“He is a marquee player that will bring people to the football and that is something we have lost.

"They can make it up in some other commercial form that Benji will offer them.’’

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226912954569

SIGNING Anthony Milford could cost the Broncos the chance to regain Karmichael Hunt.

Good for the Broncos.

Hunt was good, but that was years ago.

MIlford is something special. He is the better signing. 

Roosters claiming their club culture will be good to rehabilitate Ferguson? What the fuck are they smoking? The only player that could possibly come under that category is Jake Friend. Todd Carney? Off the rails again, dumped. Nate Myles? Off the rails again, dumped. Anthony Watts? Off the rails again, dumped. Now a petty crim. At best, the club may have enough clout to keep indiscretions out of the papers, but even that didn't work for Golden Boy Pearce did it?

Milford confirms Brisbane switch for 2015

By Raiders Media
NRL.com
5:15pm Mon 12th May, 2014

Canberra Raiders fullback Anthony Milford has informed the club he will be honouring the deal he made with the Brisbane Broncos and will depart at the end of the 2014 season.

Milford said the decision to leave the club where he developed his game and made his NRL debut was the toughest of his career so far and thanked everyone involved in the Raiders organisation for the opportunities they have given him and the patience they have shown.

“This was a very tough decision for me and my family and I want to thank everyone at the Raiders for everything they have done for me,” Milford said.

“I’ve been with the club since I was awarded a scholarship at the age of 13.

"I wouldn’t be where I am today if it wasn’t for the Raiders and I will never forget the support they’ve given me.

“I’m 100 per cent committed to the Raiders for the rest of the season and I look forward to helping the team play well for the rest of the year.”

Milford will honour the final year of his current deal with the Raiders and remain with the club until the end of the 2014 season.

http://www.nrl.com/milford-confirms-...6/default.aspx

Hiku re-signs with the Sea Eagles

ue 13th May, 04:15PM

A A

1399956151552.jpgDigital Image by Brett Crockford © nrlphotos.com : Peta Hiku NRL, Rugby League, Round 9, Melbourne Storm v Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles @ AAMI Park, Melbourne, VIC, Saturday May 10th, 2014.

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles utility back Peta Hiku has re-signed with the Club for a further three years, keeping him at the Club until the end of the 2017 season.

The 21-year-old joined the Sea Eagles in 2013 on a two-year deal and has made 22 appearances for the Club, while also debuting for New Zealand in the recent ANZAC Test Match.

The Sea Eagles brought the talented Kiwi across from New Zealand last year and the young utility is pleased to have secured his future with the Club.

“I’m really happy to have re-signed with the Sea Eagles,” Hiku said.

“The Club gave me the chance to prove myself in the NRL, so it’s nice to know I’m here to stay and I’m really looking forward to the next few years.”

“I’d like to thank the Club for the opportunity, as well as the members and fans for their support as always.”

Issac Luke to stay at Souths through 2017

By Dan Walsh
NRL.com
1:01pm Mon 19th May, 2014

37241_20_1.jpg

In the same week he is expected to return to the playing field, Rabbitohs hooker Issac Luke has given the Bunnies further cause for celebration, extending his contract with the club until the end of 2017.

The announcement of Luke's new three-year deal comes on the back of reports he will come back from a shoulder injury this weekend for Souths' feeder team North Sydney in the NSW Cup, while also ending speculation a move to the Warriors was on the cards for the Kiwi rake.

Having locked up the services of one of the game's premier No.9s the Rabbitohs continue to build an impressive roster for the coming seasons, with the likes of Glenn Stewart and Tim Grant set to join the club for 2015.

Rabbitohs coach Michael Maguire was thrilled at the prospect of Luke continuing his association with the club he debuted for in 2007.

"Issac is one of the key players at our club and I’ve seen him become a leader amongst men during my time with the Rabbitohs," said Maguire.

“His work rate on the field is matched only by the effort he puts into his game and preparation off the field.

"He's a family man, who has taken this club to heart and you can see that every time he performs for the team."

The Rabbitohs will now turn their attention to retaining boom youngsters Apisai Koroisau and Cameron McInnes, both of whom are also off contract this year and attracting plenty of interest from rival clubs.

http://www.nrl.com/issac-luke-to-sta...4/default.aspx