Raven

Player Retention and Signings

Canterbury captain Michael Ennis hopes salary cap changes mean he will see his career out as a Bulldog

• BEN HORNE
  • AAP
  • MAY 08, 2014 2:40PM

BULLDOGS captain Michael Ennis has renewed hope of seeing out his career at the Bulldogs, after the NRL announced an increase in the salary cap for veteran players.

The allowance will jump by up to 50 per cent on a sliding scale over the next two years, and will now apply to players serving six seasons with a club — as opposed to the previous mark of eight.

Ennis shapes as potentially the biggest winner from the changes, given 2014 is his sixth year in blue and white and he's so far held off on inking a new deal.

Canterbury have signed boom Cronulla hooker Michael Lichaa, placing Ennis' future under a cloud.

The 30-year-old rake wants a three-to-four-year contract knowing that it could be his last and reports have speculated that the Sharks are sweating on Ennis as their replacement for Lichaa.

However, when asked on Thursday if he was confident of staying at Belmore, Ennis said: “Oh yeah”, before praising the NRL for making it easier for experienced players to remain loyal.

“Credit to the NRL to try and look after players who have served the game for long periods of time,” Ennis said.
“It's a positive step and good to see the people in control trying to take the game further and improve it.

“Oh yeah (I'm confident). I'll let my manager look after that situation and I'll continue to keep playing footy.”

The allowance increase will be on a sliding scale, with a maximum of $250,000 per club in 2015 and $300,000 in 2016.

The changes were seemingly too late for Manly and Glenn Stewart, with the 12-season Sea Eagle last month signing a new deal with South Sydney because there was no room for him at Brookvale.

Canterbury lock Greg Eastwood said players had welcomed the changes as a chance to keep skipper Ennis at the Bulldogs.

“Especially for our captain Mick, not having that money to keep him at the club.

"He's our captain and our leader and he's shown that every week since he's been here.

"If we can keep him here with that bit of extra cash it's important for the NRL,” he said.

Ennis has said previously that with Lichaa coming on board, he would have to talk to Bulldogs coach Des Hasler about what his role in the team would likely be.

The competitive No. 9 has indicated he isn't quite ready to relinquish a starting berth and still sees himself as an 80-minute player.

In fact Ennis still hopes to be on Laurie Daley's radar for a NSW State of Origin recall this year should incumbent Robbie Farah continue to battle injury problems.

“I'm not sure what the situation is there but I'll continue to try and be consistent here,” he said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226910456158

Well wrong on both counts.

Hasler didn't succeed in taking the crap out of Ennis' game.

He didn't finish up his career at the Bulldogs.

Hasler got the crap out of the Bulldogs game alright, when he tapped Ennis in the shoulder to go elsewhere.

Now Hasler is facing all the pressure not to get shafted himself.

These old threads are great. I feel like Marty McFly going back to the future.

Best thing that could have ever happened to Ennis.

Got out of that scum-sucking shithole of a club and went on to win a Premiership with the Sharks.

Meanwhile the Dogs are stuck with an incredibly average hooker who has zero attacking skills.

Lol.

Jim Dymock would be spewing.

Had the job himself until Des became available. Everyone thought he's get the job back when Des eventually left.

Wonder if Jimmy is considering leaving to go somewhere else now that he's been overlooked.

If ever there was a club on the ropes, it would be the Bulldogs.

Who the fuck is responsible for taking the club from finalists to wooden spoon contenders?

Des Hasler gets th3 blame for signing players, but is the coach in charge of the cap?

Bulldogs have since let go a number of players signed by Hasler, and the player drain is not stopping there.

47 minutes ago, Diddee said:

Who the fuck is responsible for taking the club from finalists to wooden spoon contenders?

Des Hasler gets th3 blame for signing players, but is the coach in charge of the cap?

Bulldogs have since let go a number of players signed by Hasler, and the player drain is not stopping there.

It has got to have something with the board of directors problems that they have had for a few years.

On 10/30/2018 at 8:18 PM, Diddee said:

I don't know who is responsible...but whoever it is I would like to buy them a beer.

On 10/30/2018 at 9:01 PM, sydgeoff said:

It has got to have something with the board of directors problems that they have had for a few years.

So many teams with boardroom politics fucking over the whole club. Canterbury, Parramatta, Manly, Wests. I love the fact that the people can have a say in who runs the club sometimes, but for the most part it's idiotic letting dumbarse fans vote to see who will be on the board. Most wouldn't have a clue what goes on behind the scenes and just vote for a name they recognise.

Yes. Done deal. Bongoes happy to release him and McGuire happy to go.

Maybe something to do with bennet going?

Maybe because he is going to get more from the cows.

Why do players even have contracts nowdays- he still had three years going on his. Bongos happy to let that slide.

It's a fucking joke- they all want to talk about loyalty, but neither club or player show it anymore.

fucking disgraceful.

On 12/13/2018 at 6:55 PM, sydgeoff said:

Fuck me dead they must be desperate ! St George have signed Lachlan Maranta.

Have you seen the lineup for the Bulldogs for next season?

If they don't come last it will be a fucking miracle. Here's hoping that wooden spoon is theirs.

Guess which club is heavily promoting memberships to fans here in SA?

Yep, ‘Be part of the Red V’ plays constantly on tv and radio down here. Also on the sides of barrels.....err, I mean buses.

Funny they are using Widdop’s image when he is desperate to be part of the big Xit.

On 1/10/2019 at 6:03 PM, Diddee said:

Guess which club is heavily promoting memberships to fans here in SA?

Yep, ‘Be part of the Red V’ plays constantly on tv and radio down here. Also on the sides of barrels.....err, I mean buses.

Funny they are using Widdop’s image when he is desperate to be part of the big Xit.

Good on them for branching out, I suppose.

I do wonder though, are South Australians even aware of what the NRL is?

6 hours ago, Quint said:

Good on them for branching out, I suppose.

I do wonder though, are South Australians even aware of what the NRL is?

Yes, the SANRL is going quite well in AFL dominated state.

They have a decent Adelaide comp., as well as regional comps including and interstate one covering SA and Vic border areas.

The influx ofpeople from other states over the years has helped, but the traditional game of many British migrants from Post WWII was actually rugby. Influx of Italians and Greeks made Soccer pretty strong down here, so I guess it is like e erywhere else, a heritage thing.